The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of India’s Ministry of Science and Technology, in collaboration with UNESCO-TWAS, launched a fellowship programme for foreign researchers from developing countries interested in pursuing research for a PhD in biotechnology.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are available for up to five years at prominent biotechnology research institutions in India.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme Details
- SANDWICH Fellowships (for individuals enrolled in a PhD programme in their home country): The Fellowship may be awarded for a minimum of 12 months and a maximum of two years.
- FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not pursuing a PhD): The Fellowship is first granted for a term of up to three years. Such Fellowships may subsequently be extended for a further two years based on the student’s performance. Candidates will enrol in a PhD programme at an Indian university. DBT will notify TWAS and the candidate of any such extensions.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme Eligibility
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships, be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form); OR
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships; be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India. N.B. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Provide a research proposal outline.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme Cost
- DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
How to Apply for TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
Apply Here Official Link
No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.